Saturday, July 08, 2006

The Sweetest Romances Part II

After watching the couple from last night, I was immediately reminded of my own grandparents.

I knew as a kid that Grandma and Grandpa did their own thing. I had caught them arguing one day and even knew that Grandpa had thought about leaving.

Just a few years before their 50th Anniversary, Grandma fell down the back steps and while she was recovering in the hospital she had a whopper of a stroke. We all thought she was going to die or that Grandpa would put her in a nursing home and be done with it.

Grandma made it, but she wasn't the same and neither was Grandpa. I watched him hug her, tell her that he loved her and even asked her for a date on the Fourth of July. He made sure the house was set up to accomadate her new needs and nurses to help HIM care for her. I watched as he rubbed lotion on her hands and arms and made sure she looked good. He took care of her for about 11 years.

Taking care of Grandma took quite a toll on his health as well and when he absolutely had no choice he put her in a home. A decision he hated more than anything. Grandma did not last long in the nursing home and soon passed away. Everyone was amazed and impressed with his love for the woman who gave him his three kids and took care of the house and him. He set an awesome example.

What does make me sad is that it wasn't until the end that all that happened. They let life get them down and it wasn't until death was upon them that they realized how much they needed each other.

I was so encouraged the other day reading a blog from one of our friends. He talked about the wonderful date he went on with his wife. He even called her a hot date. What an awesome thing to say about his wife of 8 years and the woman who gave birth to their precious three children. I could read the love in his writing and in her comments. It's nice to know romance still goes on even for the entering their thirties crowd.

2 Comments:

At 12:42 PM, Blogger Carmah said...

I was Not slovenly and yes, you are right, my husband has told me several times in the last few weeks that I was pretty. It sure made my day!!!!!! Girls just need to hear that even though they are getting up in years and pounds....

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Carmah said...

I was Not slovenly and yes, you are right, my husband has told me several times in the last few weeks that I was pretty. It sure made my day!!!!!! Girls just need to hear that even though they are getting up in years and pounds....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home