Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Hardhips for citizens

Okay, so obviously I survived the Jury Paneling experience, but I can't get a conversation out of my head. I was sitting outside the courtroom waiting for the lawyers to decide which suckers were going to give the guy 99 years in prision for stabbing his estranged wife. I sat on a a long bench and pulled out my lovely PDA (No, I didn't have a boyfriend stuck in my purse...I did have a Coke though...) and proceeded to play Solitare. (Told you there was no boyfriend in the purse...) The woman next to me worked for the school district as some sort of diagnostician. She was talking with a lady next her and and a young woman in an electronic wheelchair. She asked the lady in the wheelchair if she remembered seeing her at an elementary school and at first the woman said no. Then after a few seconds she said she did remember her. The school lady reminded her that she saw her son. The lady said that wasn't her son, but her nephew. She just had her first child on July 4th. Doing the math that baby would have been 22 days old and she was at the courthouse...hmmmm..... The lady went on to say that she had him when she was only 6 months along and that he was in a nearby city in the hospital. He was doing well, but wasn't doing well. She had to go visit him a lot. OKAY-I'm still playing my game, but I'm thinking-why is this woman here or how can you be such a blatant liar-the school lady was being nice???? The judge made it quite clear that people could be gone for hardships. Well, the school lady asked gently why she didn't bring it to the judge because that would have qualified as a hardship. The lady in the wheelchair said she didn't think that would qualify and the judge never asked. She said she might as well be there she didn't have to be at the hospital until the afternoon anyway. I'm cursing to myself in my head. Either the lady was a liar, or she was extremely dimwitted. We were called back into the courtroom at that time. I was coming unglued. If she was lying..what an idiot, but if she was extremely dimwitted as I greatly suspect based on her verbal and nonverbal ques-I was outraged. That child will be in the school system in five years and it will be the school systems responsibility to turn this child-the offspring of this woman-into one who can function in society and in the great state of Texas pass a test when he is 8. Never mind where he came from....the fact that he was three months premature....his mom was not all there mentally....wonder if dad was even in the picture....wonder why dad was ever in the picture....obviously there are more family issues if the school diagnostician was having to see the woman's nephew....but in eight years some teacher will be responsible for making sure that kid passes a test. Something smells rotten and this is creating quite the hardship for all citizens of Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home